How to Move a Piano Without a Moving Company
By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
Employing professional movers in Colorado Springs is usually the best course of action; yet you may be able to move the piano without their support, provided you have the correct equipment, and plenty of helpers. Should you chose to go the DIY route, here are the basics you ought to be aware of:
What to Do Before Relocating the Piano
Relocating a piano requires quite a bit of prepatory work. Below are a few of the major tasks to take care of before you begin moving one:
- Gather the right moving supplies and materials. For instance, you should have lots of moving blankets on hand to protect the piano throughout the relocation. You’ll want a dolly rated for handling the piano's weight. For a grand piano, you may in addition need to rent a piano skid board from a local moving company. (Don't be shocked if you end up paying hundreds of dollars to get one!)
- Assemble a team. At least, you should have 4 strong, capable people there to assist you with the move. It is ideal if you can recruit pals or family members who have experience moving heavy objects. Make sure to have lots of pizza there for "motivation!"
- Measure the appropriate doorways, stairways, and hallways. It’s very significant to measure the spaces through which your piano will need to fit ahead of the actual move. You don't want to get your piano wedged in an unwieldy spot, and risk damaging it as you make an effort to get it moved!
What to Do As you Move the Piano
There you will find several essential items you should keep in mind through the actual move. These include the following:
- Wrap the piano keys, pedals, lid, and body up tightly with proper materials (e.g., bubble wrap, foam packing sheets, blankets, and so on).
- Arrange your moving team set to lift the piano. Make sure everybody lifts in unison, on cue. Another person (or two) should be set to position the dolly beneath the piano.
- After the piano is securely on the dolly, slowly move it out of your house and onto the moving van. Be careful going through doorways, navigating around corners and going down stairs. (If possible, use a ramp when moving your piano up or down stairs.)
- When you unload the piano on the truck, make certain at least one person is in front of the piano, and can control it during the lift to remove the dolly.
What to Do After Moving the Piano
In the event you had to disassemble the piano to move it (for instance, by removing the legs), then ask your moving team to to assist you to reassemble it as soon as it's been successfully relocated. Wipe the piano down with a soft cloth or feather duster to remove all amassed dust and think about wiping down its exterior with a mild solution of soap and water. (It’s definitely wise to leave the inside to a professional piano cleaning company.)
As you can tell, moving a piano without the aid of a professional moving company in Colorado Springs requires lots of planning, coordination, and hard work. The guidelines listed here are only the tip of the iceberg!
If you decide that it would be best to leave a move of this significance to professional movers in Colorado Springs, call our team of friendly experts at the A-1 Freeman Moving Group today to talk about the details.
Request a free quote