If you’re moving, you probably have a lot of concerns—and a lot of expenses. The last thing you want are surprises when it comes to your estimated moving costs. That’s why you need the assistance of an experienced and creditable mover who will help you to discoverways to pare down your moving expenses, and who will give you an accurate estimate of what those expenses will be.
How to Find a Great Company for Your Move in Colorado Springs
For starters, you need to know not every moving company is the same. Some are capable, reliable and trustworthy—others are not. According to Consumer Reports, for example:
“Some moving companies quote lowball prices and then, once the move is underway, hold their customers' property hostage until they pay much more. Others demand substantial deposits and then don't show up, says Katherine Hutt, a spokeswoman for the Better Business Bureau.”
The good news is that you can locate a professional company to assist you move by simply doing a little homework. You can, for instance, check their credentials (including their carrier number from the Department of Transportation) and read online reviews and complaints.
You should also visit their website—the best movers are often recipients of recognized awards—like the Pinnacle Mover Designation Award and the North American Quality Award—and will often post these awards on their website.
How to Understand the Factors of Your Moving Costs in Colorado Springs
Many factors go into the cost of your move. For starters, what you pay will be based in part on considerations like the total weight of your possessions and the mileage to your new home. There are several other aspects, however, which will affect the cost of your moving estimate, including the following 6:
- Packing and crating costs: Keep in mind, you’re paying your moving company for their time. Certainly, they’ll require more time if you ask them to pack your possessions. You can save money by packing some or all your possessions yourself. You can slash costs further by disassembling large pieces of furniture rather than having the mover do it for you. Also, you’ll plunk down more for specific kinds of packing and handling. For instance, if fragile items like artwork or a grandfather clock need crating, your cost will be higher.
- Poor accessibility to your pick-up or drop-off location in Colorado Springs: If your current or future place of residence is in an area which prevents access for a large truck (for example, due to a narrow road or a weak bridge), your movers must find an alternate mode to get your things out of your old home or into your new one. For instance, they probably will need to use smaller trucks to gain access. In this case, you’ll need to pay the mover a shuttle fee.
- Stairs or long walking distances: The cost of your move will also be more if there are very long stairs (or multiple stairs) which the movers need to move your belongings up or down. You may also have to pay a long-carry fee if the distance from the moving truck to the entrance of your residence is more than 50 feet.
- Narrow doors or hallways: If some of your items don’t fit through the door or down narrow hallways, a rigger could be required to hoist them through a window. In this case, you could be assessed a hoisting fee.
- Storage fees: This is one of the most prevalent reasons for increased costs. If you have to store some or most of your possessions at the carrier’s warehouse because your new place to live is not ready to be occupied, you’ll have to pay an additional storage fee.
- Time of year: Summer is the most busy moving time of the year, which means that moving in the summer will cost more. You can save money if you can plan your move from September to May. You’ll also pay more if you move on a national holiday or on the first or last day of the month (this is because rental agreements typically expire at these times, which means more people move then).
Moving companies don’t get a reputation for honesty, accuracy and virtue by chance—they earn it by helping their clients, giving them guidance and working hard to win their trust. The most crucial thing you can do to obtain a safe move and lower your costs is to identify the kind of moving company which cares about you and your family and will work tirelessly to ensure your complete satisfaction.
To learn more about our residential, office and corporate relocation services, contact us today.