Don’t let the “D” word frighten you! Yes, we are talking about Downsizing. When you are contemplating moving in Colorado Springs, thoughts often come up about how many of your property you absolutely need. Admittedly, you will begin pondering on some things you need to get rid of. You may ask oneself how to do it. You may deliberate who will want the items you want to relinquish. You might mull over if you will have qualms about getting rid of some of your belongings.
How to decide what to discard:
There are gobs of considerations that you can go through when figuring out what to discard. You should give careful thought to when you last used the item. If it has not been used in a decade, it is probably not something that you should hang on to. Contemplate if the item is still useful to you. If it is a piece of clothing like a jacket, try it on. If it does not fit, put it into the discard pile.
One important thing to avoid is delaying decisions. Frequently, this will lead to you hanging on to more things than you should have. Go with your gut and decide expeditiously if you need to keep the item. If there are memories tied to items it can be emotional to give them away, but the memories will carry on even after the item has been rehomed.
How to get rid of your discard pile in Colorado Springs:
- Garage Sale: This can take some exertion but will also bring in a little money. The steps to having a profitable garage sale is easy as pie. First, review any city ordinances in Colorado Springs and homeowner association rules to make sure that you submit to them. Next, price your items a fair price, especially if you will just give them away for nothing otherwise. Next, announce your sale. You need to have signs placed on key roads that will lead potential customers to your location. It may be helpful to set up advertisements online to guide more people to your sale. Finally, relax and enjoy making a little money while conversing with your neighbors. Click the Garage Sale Sign below for a more detailed step-by-step guide to planning your garage sale in Colorado Springs.
- Donate Items: When you just want to get rid of your things, donating your items to a charity in Colorado Springs is a super way to do that. You will assist a worthwhile cause. You will also help the next person who gets to use your item. It is a great, painless way to get rid of your stuff and keep it out of a landfill. Some organizations will even come and pick your donation up from your abode.
- Think about family and friends: If you know anyone in your family who is just getting a household started, asking if they need any items would be a wonderful idea. Otherwise, just spread the word that you are downsizing and you will be surprised about what people request. It will give you joy to give someone something that they can use.
- Consider a storage solution in Colorado Springs: There will be some things that you will not want to get rid of. If there is no room for them in your next location, consider renting a storage locker. This will allow you extra room for those items that you need for day-to-day living. If a storage unit is not in the numbers, think about if any family or friends would be willing to keep items in their basement, garage or barn for you.
- Re-organize: Some items in your home might be organized more effectively. For example, if you have many DVDs, you could take them out of their cases and place them into a DVD folder. This will keep the amount of space you are using down, while allowing you to keep more.
Downsizing your home to prepare for a move will take effort. Think of all the time that it took to compile everything you own. However, once you have downsized successfully you will be pleased that you did it. You will be able to target your energy on the items you truly care about and have a need for.