Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Colorado Springs

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either nearby or nationwide requires a lot of planning along with organization, and many people neglect to locate the correct documents ahead of time. The following is a quick reference guide on the various important records that you'll need whether moving local or orchestrating a long-distance move to Colorado Springs.

Let's be honest, it's not like you must have a passport plus a work visa to relocate over the state line, but after you've gathered all of your life documents together to go over the border those are roughly the only items you don't need. And how our brains work, you might be ready to need this paperwork for a cross-country move, but if your move is geographically close by--from Memphis just across the river to a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for instance, it can come as a surprise that you need the many docs.

Below are records you'll more than likely want to keep convenient whenever moving, and approaches to acquire them if they have expired or perhaps you could have lost them.

Driver's License

Even though driver's licenses are not acceptable for federal identity for much longer, you will still need a current one--you should have it at any rate, but in the case it expired a few weeks or even months in the past and you thought as you are moving why take the time, go take the time. If you need to sign in at the airport, reserve an automobile, open a bank account, or do life generally speaking, you must have an up-to-date license to do so. In case you are in a state where you cannot get your license through the neighborhood Tag Agency same day, inquire about a paper back up of your new driver's license to make use of in front of the printed version showing up in the mailbox; this can be suitable ID for a period of around three weeks.


In case you are moving for a new job, chances are pretty good that you will have to prove US citizenship before you get started. You can renew it by mail when you fulfill particular guidelines--your name hasn't changed, your previous one was issued not more than fifteen years previously, that you were at least 16 at that time, along with others--but if not, you will need to make application for a new one in person. You may request an expedited passport if necessary but expect you'll pay an extra $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You will need a copy for everybody in your family for your move to Colorado Springs. If you're unable to place your hands on them and you reside in the county or parish in which they happened to be supplied, an easy stop by at the county offices will take care of it. If you were born somewhere else, request the reproduction from that place. Every place is different, so consider an online lookup with regard to the county records the place you were born to get the precise details to obtain a certified reproduction of your birth certificate. There is usually a nominal charge involved.

Marriage License

If you need a duplicate, follow the same procedure you would for the birth certificate. A family Bible or certificate from the place of worship isn't a sufficient legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Everybody in your family should have a social security number and a card; if you're unable to place your hands on them you'll want to get replacements at the earliest opportunity. You can start the job online, and send in the supporting papers, or you can visit the closest Social Security Administration office with the files. Copies--even notarized ones--won't be acceptable. You will need photo ID as well as verification of citizenship, therefore take an up-to-date driver's license and / or passport, school, employee, or armed forces ID card, or a medical insurance card.

Vehicle Registration

You'll need to register your vehicles with your new community and state, consequently bring your latest registration cards and evidence of insurance to the local BMV at the earliest opportunity right after your move to Colorado Springs. Within a new state you'll receive a new license plate and tag; if your move was within the same state your license plate and tag are good, but your insurance charges might change.

Medical and Immunization Documents

Should you have children, their new schools will have to have proof of immunization ahead of registration. Having replications of the many family healthcare documents will help when you've got initial consultations with new physicians.

Gather your files together as quickly as you can in front of your move to Colorado Springs and keep them together. Since you will need original copies of many things, just place everything in a file folder and keep it along with you or in a safe and secure location over the actual move--this is one thing you won't want to misplace.

Should you be ready to move to Colorado Springs, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group help. Get in touch with us today to schedule your cost-free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote